October 16, 2008

On the Road Again

Nothing like 9 hours in a car to end your week. So the week started with a speeding ticket from an aerial speed trap where I got a ticket for doing 87 in a 65, when curiously I had my cruise control set to 72. Now after being pulled over with errant data, I obviously was not in a good mood. So I decided to ask the trooper why I was pulled over for going 87 when I was only going 72 and he did not like the question. He told me if I wanted to dispute it I was more than welcome, but there is not much I can do since I do not have a witness. So needless to say we are basically giving people who require no higher education the ability to have a ridiculous amount of power and control over our lives. Now granted I was technically speeding, but now I have to pay a ticket for going 22 over the limit as opposed to 7 (which probably would not have led to a ticket to begin with, but I digress).

So back to the original reason I was posting this message. I went to the University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana today, which is actually a really nice campus. I almost ran over ten people (not all at once, that would be crazy) and it reminded me how much I loved my stint at THE Ohio State University. So traveling sucks... obviously one would love to just fly to a location that would take 4 1/2 hours to drive to in each direction, but seeing as how I could leave from my home at 6:30am and drive to Illinois, do a demo, then drive back by 7:30pm. Or I could leave from my home at 5:00am for a 6:30am flight to Chicago, followed by an 8:00am flight to Urbana, then a 6:00pm flight back to Chicago connecting to Columbus at 8:45pm and landing by 11:00pm. Not to mention taking the chance that my demo equipment might not arrive with me. So I took the driving option, getting paid mileage, which ended up cheaper for my company than buying airline tickets so the day ended in a win-win situation.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: