October 14, 2009

A Month of Horror: Drag Me To Hell

Drag Me To Hell:

The first thing that I want to say is that scary movies generally do not scare me too much. I love them, but it takes a certain kind of horror movie to really get to me. Those types of scary movies tend to be the ones that deal with spiritual subjects or those of a paranormal nature.

Now this movie has three things going for it right out of the gates for me. It has Justin Long, who may not be the best actor, but I think is pretty funny and I enjoy how he delivers his comedy. It also has Alison Lohman, who I think is pretty hot. In addition to that it also deals with curses and demons. I am a sucker for this type of movie, not to mention the fact that they scare the hell out of me.

This one was no different. Alison Lohman's character plays a loan officer that refuses a loan extension to an aging gypsy woman. After a few encounters with the woman, Lohman's character becomes cursed by the gypsy woman and the freakiness ensues. In his return to horror, Sam Raimi does a great job of mixing in the disgusting with the genuinely scary paranormal fare. I love the fact that Raimi doesn't fall into the normal horror paradigms. A lot of horror movies rely on dark and creepy atmospheres to achieve their scares. Raimi does not do that, in fact, a lot of the scares are in the middle of the day, and with perfect lighting.

Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of "make you jump" frights, and some disgusting moments that are very cringe worthy, but where the movie succeeds is in the way that it sets a tone early, and keeps it running throughout the entire movie. The acting is above average for a horror movie, and in fact, even the over the top performances seemed to fit perfectly into the overall story and tone.

Verdict: Definite must see for both the casual and loyal horror fan

No comments: