October 14, 2009

Halloween = Horror Movies

So it is funny to me how people can love the same things in different ways. When I talk to other people that love Halloween it is always interesting to me to find out what they love about Halloween and how it is different than I do.

For example, my wife and I both love Halloween. Now we both love the trick-or-treat aspect with our kids, and we also love the dressing up for Halloween parties and going to those as adults. Although with kids, that last part doesn't happen nearly as much as we'd like. We both also like the decorating of the outside of the house with tombstones, skeletons, ghosts, and noisy (annoying, but fun) mummies and zombies. But more so than anything else, Halloween to her is shopping at Halloween stores and looking at all the different decorations they have out that year, and some of the costumes and those things. Myself, I really like Halloween for the scare factor and the mysticism that is involved. That is exactly the stuff she does not like about Halloween. This is what cracks me up. How we can both love the holiday and not love it in the same way.

It is just funny as I talk to neighbors that "love" Halloween, but they don't decorate the outside. They "love" Halloween, but they do not like horror movies. They "love" Halloween, but they do not enjoy the parties or dressing up. It is just interesting how so many people can love something, but love it so differently. I heard an amazing statistic that Halloween is the second-most profitable holiday to Christmas. So it must be true that people love Halloween. I guess there are just so many components to Halloween that can attract so many different types of people.

Now as I mentioned, my love of Halloween centers around scary movies and trick-or-treat. It is awesome that this time of year all these DVD's and Movies come out to get me in the mood. It is pretty funny that I do not care too much about scary movies until around late September. That is why every year I have a horror movie festival in my man cave, leading to the Month of Horror this year.

No comments: