October 7, 2010

2010 Month of Horror: After.Life

After.Life

I saw this in a preview for another movie I was watching from Netflix and after looking it up on IMDB added it to my movie queue.  It finally came and I must say, this was a great movie that I highly recommend.  I am not normally a fan of Chrstina Ricci, however I really like Liam Neeson and most things that Justin Long is in.  I'm not sure what it is, but between this and Drag Me To Hell, Justin Long seems to be enjoying playing an assist role in some current horror films.

The premise is pretty unique.  Christina Ricci plays a girl dealing with death from a relative.  Justin Long is her longtime boyfriend.  Liam Neeson is the embalmer at the funeral home.  After an argument between Anna (Ricci) and Paul (Long), Ricci leaves a restaurant during a storm, has a fatal car accident and ends up on the table of Eliot (Neeson) at the funeral home.  What appears to be another "I see dead people" movie quickly plants the seed of doubt in your movie-watching head and starts making you wonder if Anna really is dead, or if Eliot is just playing a game of "let's bury this girl alive".  Without ruining the movie, all of the main actors' performances are completely spot on, and the director (Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo) does a great job of setting the tone.  The movie moves along at a steady pace and does a great job of keeping the viewer guessing as to the outcome of the movie.  

No comments: